Casa Prinicipal de Salazar
Casa Principal de Salazar is the most important house that the Salazar family would own in La Palma. This mansion was built by Don Ventura de Frías Salazar, between 1631 and 1642. Constructed of ashlars and other carved instruments, its facade with elegant lines, reflects more the implementation of Baroque elements in La Palma’s architecture. For instance: spiral shafts in both columns and its frieze decorated with rosettes, a central balcony with a forged parapet and a curved split top which houses the Salazar family coast of arms. This marble shield has thirteen gold stars over a gules field. Nowadays, Casa Principal de Salazar belongs to La Palma’s council, that remodeled the building, now converted into the island’s cultural center. Its facilities hold congresses, work meeting and temporary exhibitions throughout the year.
Street O’Daly, n. 22
Street Pérez de Brito, n. 2
Acquired by the bank CajaCanarias and rebuilt inside and after the fire suffered in the house on the night of January 5, 1990; the House Massieu Tello de Eslava occupies the old site founded in Santa Cruz de La Palma by the advance of Canarias, Alonso Fernández de Lugo, after the conquest of the island in 1493. Its main facade, oriented towards the square of Spain, managed to keep the original invoice that the works undertaken by Colonel Juan Massieu Fierro between 1779 and 1785 gave it. . It has three stories and three vertical lanes; its axis of symmetry , covered in stonework, consist of the main door, a forged balcony with a trabeated door, and the Massieu family and its allies cornice and coast of arms. The facade is topped by three mixtilinear parapets crowned with vases and joined by a wooden balustrade. During the house rehabilitation and in spite of the banking purposes of the building, some of the traditional construction models were respected, especially the carpentry.
Plaza de España, n. 4
Constructed between the end of the sixteenth century and the beginning of the seventeenth by the Cortés family of Estupiñán-Santa Cruz, this house was bought in 1625 by Pedro de Sotomayor Topete, and from then on became the main family house of the owner and his wife Jerónima Vandale and Senft.
The building constitutes one of the most interesting pieces of the domestic architecture located in the most commercial artery of Santa Cruz de La Palma. The first thing that draws attention to it is its façade: elaborated with black volcanic stone or millstone, which help to simulate a fortress and, secondly, its central balcony, which has a forged parapet and of Arabic tile supported by wooden pillars. The house interior is divided into a hall with commercial promises on both sides, and a central patio, around which the rooms are articulated. Towards Virgen de la Luz street, the lot is closed by a fence that access a door to the rear garden, arranged in a stepped way to save the slope.
Street O’Daly, n. 38
Real Nuevo Club Náutico
In its current state, the headquarters of the Royal New Yacht Club of Santa Cruz de La Palma is the result of works undertaken in 1817 by José María Fierro Santa Cruz and Brito in the main house of their family. Its façade responds to the language of academic neoclassicism: distribution on two floors and five vertical streets, symmetry in the bays and central panel of stonework topped by a triangular pediment. Founded in 1904 as a sporting society dedicated to hunting, pigeon shooting, fencing, ball games, and nautical excursions, the house was first leased and, in 1920, acquired by its president, Francisco García Mamely. The building has witnessed the visit of Alfonso XIII to La Palma in 1906 (the first Spanish monarch who stepped on canary floor) and a wide cultural activity developed by the centenary society such as exhibitions, literary-musical evenings, theater, concerts, ballroom dancing and social gatherings. In its interior, besides the imperial staircase, stand out its library, with printed from the XVIII, XIX and XX century, being outstanding the ones by canary authors, the collection of periodicals and the pinacoteca, integrated, among other firms, by those of Manuel González Méndez, Bruno Brandt Pardo, Diego Crosa and Costa, Luis Fernández Casaseca, Manuel López Ruiz, Siro Manuel Lorenzo Salazar, Quico Concepcion, Guido Koltscher and Marina Lorst.
Street Pérez de Brito, n. 9
Society «La Investigadora»
The society "La Investigadora", founded in Santa Cruz de La Palma in 1885, has its headquarters in an old house built at the end of its days by Nicolás Massieu Salgado and his wife Clara Margarita de Sotomayor. The mansion, which has three facades, is distributed in the main in five vertical streets, two floors and mezzanine.The mansion, with three facades, is distributed in five vertical streets, two floors and mezzanine. Among its decorative elements are the overlays of the windows of the second floor, crowned by marble busts; the shield of Massieu-Sotomayor, housed at the top of the central cloth, and the anthropomorphic gargoyles at the corners. Acquired in 1931 by the cultural society "La Investigadora", its interior has been altered in successive reforms. The entity, popularly known as Casino de Santa Cruz de La Palma, has been distinguished by the program of recreational activities developed in its facilities and for its commitment to the dissemination of the historical masonry in La Palma, a school of thought that would have several lodges in La Palma during the nineteenth and twentieth century.
Street Pérez de Brito, 15
Real Sociedad Cosmológica
The old corn exchange is now the main headquarters of the Real Sociedad Cosmológica, bought for that purpose in 1646 by La Palma’s Council. Founded in 1881 with the aim of "spreading the knowledge of the natural sciences through the discussions and the practice of its study, through the establishment of a museum of natural and ethnographic history", La Cosmológica, owes its name to the title of the Cosmos related work of Berliner naturalist, geographer and explorer Alexander von Humboldt, published in London between 1848 and 1858. Inspired by the advances of positivism and the study of man and nature, La Cosmológica has been one of the most important centenarian institutions of Scientific history in La Palma. In addition to its primitive collection of natural sciences and its first attempts to collect the archaeological heritage of the Benahoarite universe, La Cosmológica has rescued ancient shields and coins. In its facilities, the Cervantes Library, founded in 1905, for the occasion of Don Quixote’s publication centenary. .
Street Vandewalle, n. 6
Vanderwalle House as we know it nowadays was built in times of captain Gregorio Roberto de Monserrat, son of Jerónimo Vandeval and María Dalmao Roberto de Monserrat, in the first third of the seventeenth century, on a part of the primitive solar of the Vandewalle lineage, founded in the sixteenth century by Louis Vandewalle the Elder. The house is distributed in the Portuguese way: hallway at the main entrance, staircase leading to the second floor on the left, decorated with Delft pottery, fair on the right and rear orchard, among whose vegetation stand the magnificent examples of Canary palm (Phoenix canariensis) and drago (Dracaena draco). In the twentieth century, Casa Vandewalle witnessed the cultural concerns of Jorge Lozano Vandewalle, photographer and filmmaker, co-founder of the group El Taller in 1984 with his wife, journalist Loló Fernández Felipe, painter Facundo Fierro and designer Óscar Benítez. El Taller promoted the creation and dissemination of engraving in La Palma and attracted the attention of Canary and foreign artists; José Duarte, José Luis Fajardo, Pedro González, Rafael Monagas, Elizabeth Friend, Domingo Vega, Rudolf Ortner and Gunter F. Piscat, among others, were also present in El Taller workshop. In 1993, after the disappearance of El Taller, Lozano founded the company Luz 15, dedicated to cinematographic realization and whose name alludes to the urban location of the house.
Street Virgen de la Luz, n. 15
Conceived as if it were a defensive watchtower, built on the rock, staggered on the southern slope of the Dolores ravine and raised considerably above the level of El Puente Avenue, the Quinta Verde is a recreational treasure acquired and rebuilt by the Massieu family, dedicated it to the cultivation of Malvasia vineyards, whose wines were highly appreciated in the European community since the sixteenth century. The farm has a crenellated facade, sign of distinction, which give access to the main house through a staircase; the house is also surrounded by porches on both sides. Quinta Verde follows the models of the rural domestic architecture and is articulated from a central courtyard, with stone fountain and a garden area. Towards the west, there is the cellar and the wine cellar on the basement level and, on the upper level, the kitchen. You can access the East side of the house through a shed ,held by portuguese style pilars, which leads to the main room, the chambers and the chapel (also accesible through a South door). The main room celling conservates it original Mudejar style policromed design. In 2007 was declared this house as a monument of Cultural Interest.
Avenida El Puente, n. 45